2020: Will BSD and Linux be relevant anymore?

Michael Cardell Widerkrantz mc at hack.org
Mon Jul 25 10:35:33 UTC 2011

"Mike." <the.lists at mgm51.com>, 2011-07-19 20:52 (+0200):

> Perhaps the real question should be - how much longer will the desktop
> be relevant?

I think it depends on what you mean by desktop. Traditional heavy PCs
might begin to disappear but people using mobile devices such as
smartphones might want to connect their devices to better monitors and
(better) keyboards. That's sort of a desktop.

In a business setting I can't see the desktop disappearing either.
However, there are chances that we're moving towards even more thin
client solutions.

I think FreeBSD and Linux will power both ends, both clients and
servers, in this scenario.

--
http://hack.org/mc/
Use plain text e-mail, please. OpenPGP welcome, 0xE4C92FA5.