Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Sun Jul 24 10:59:52 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Dick Hoogendijk <dick at nagual.nl> wrote:
> And going back on the
> subject of network managers I have to agree I too hate these tools from the
> moment they took over the manual way of setting things. Even good old
> solaris now has this on by *default*. Horrible (imho).

Yes, nwam is terrible, isn't it? But fortunately, one can still configure
the interfaces manually on Solaris. Just disable nwam and configure
interfaces as usual, using ipadm instead of ifconfig:

# svcadm disable network/physical:nwam
# svcadm enable network/physical:default

Then use ipadm(1M).

It isn't as clean as FreeBSD's way of network config though. ;-)

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/