2020: Will BSD and Linux be relevant anymore?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Jul 21 17:14:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 05:13:56PM +0100, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:

> Also, due to the nature of the course-work I absolutely could not work
> with anything other than UNIX and so I have to select my hardware
> around my choice of OS which of course is FreeBSD.

This is a bigger deal than people might realize.  If Android actually
exposed more of the Linux underpinnings it might be somewhat useful to
me, but as it stands it is essentially just a toy.  Unless and until I
get a full-power OS (preferably a real BSD Unix) on a tablet, no amount
of peripherals, ubiquitous network connection, and internal power will
make up for the simple fact it's just a damned toy.