2020: Will BSD and Linux be relevant anymore?

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Thu Jul 21 17:11:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, July 21, 2011 12:13 pm, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:

> Adding a variety of devices to a tablet still wouldn't make it an
> attractive option for me. I can't imagine doing my CS degree course-work
> on one of them, it would be a nightmare. I even found working on a laptop
> frustrating given the length of study sessions sometimes.

As I said elsewhere in that email, I don't expect everyone to do so.  I
just know several who have.  As tablets and such get more powerful and the
connection systems get better it will become a more appealing option for
more and more users.

But for a large number of non-technical users, I can see it being the most
appealing option already.

> Also, due to the nature of the course-work I absolutely could not work
> with anything other than UNIX and so I have to select my hardware around
> my choice of OS which of course is FreeBSD.

Which nicely brings us back to where this thread started: What needs to
happen to make sure FreeBSD stays relevant as computing moves to these
devices?  ;)  (Or should FreeBSD try to be relevant to the end-user at
all?  Part of what makes this an appealing option is increased 'cloud
computing', and FreeBSD has an obviously relevant place in that, as a
high-performance and high-reliability server platform.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.