virtualbox 4.0

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 15:07:43 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> Recent versions of VirtualBox claim to be able to run a 64-bit VM on a
> 32-bit host if the host CPU is 64-bit and has hardware virtualization
> support: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=33940
> (search for "64-bit guest")
>
> So far I've only seen guest kernel panics when booting the kernel on an
> E8400 i386 FreeBSD host.

That functionality has been around awhile, probably at least around the time
Vbox was introduced to FreeBSD ports.  I used to use 64 bit VM's on a 32 bit
FreeBSD host, but the only stipulation was only one 64 bit VM could be run
at a time.  I didn't have any stability issues.  This was in the early 3.X
series and I haven't tried recently.

--
Adam Vande More