scrpt help neded...

Murray Taylor MTaylor at bytecraft.com.au
Thu Jul 21 07:01:54 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of
perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sent: Thursday, 21 July 2011 10:08 PM
To: kline at thought.org
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: scrpt help neded...

Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:

> I'm looking for a script that takes on arg and lets   me vi/vim
> into the r esults.  Let's say that I'm looking for the string
> 201107 in a slew of files.  the script find it with grep---not
> grep -w, just grep.  collect es the filenames and lines (grep -n)
> and saves  then temporarily, then points vim or vi at each
> file+linenumbr and execs it for me.   the fewer keystrokes, the
> better.

To edit each file that contains 201107:

  $ vi ` grep -l 201107 {files to be searched} `

That won't pre-position within the files, but since it's a single
invocation of vi, with each subsequent file being loaded by :n, a
search pattern will persist (unless/until you replace it by entering
a different search pattern).  At the top of the first file, you enter

  /201107

to find the first instance, "n" to find the second, etc.  After :n
-- at the top of the second file -- "n" alone will find the first
instance.

OTOH if you want to bring up an xterm containing _the results of
the grep_ you can pipe it into the attached script.  There is no
manpage, but the comments and the (straightforward) parameter
decoding should provide a start.  (There are a few "magic numbers",
which ideally should be tweaked for your X11 installation's font
dimensions, but nothing horrible will happen if they are slightly
off.)

-----

get your grep script to return the line number of the item to be changed
and
then use vi -c<linenumber> filename .... this is preposition you on the
line
containing the grepped target.

--
Murray Taylor
Bytecraft Systems

 |_|0|_|        "Absence of evidence
 |_|_|0|        is not evidence of absence"
 |0|0|0|        Carl Sagan

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.