2020: Will BSD and Linux be relevant anymore?

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Tue Jul 19 22:07:47 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 19 July 2011 03:18:41 Konrad Heuer wrote:

> But: Neither BSD nor Linux will ever have chance to conquere the desktop,
> despite of KDE, Gnome or anything else. In business environments there is
> no alternative to Windows. Microsoft successfully created Active Directory
> from DNS, LDAP and Kerberos with an easy-to-manage interface
>
> Konrad Heuer

Err ... just a little correction here.

Microsoft copied its AD deck from Novell Directory Services - NDS, shuffled
the cards, added a few bits and pieces here and there and called it its own,
having "some similarities" with NDS, as MS has ALWAYS been doing since DOS
1.0.

I remember very well when the ease of management with NDS was well
estabilished by NETWARE 6.xx (it showed up first in 5.xx) and delighting
network admins who managed Novell environments (as I was doing at the time),
when MS announced its, ahaam, "revolutionary" active directory services.

NDS -> ADS. Like I said, just card shuffling.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br