Sendmail not accepting connections on port 25

Lowell Gilbert Lowell at Be-Well.Ilk.Org
Tue Jul 19 20:27:17 UTC 2011

ssgriffonuser <ssgriffonuser at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm having difficulty getting sendmail set up on my server.  I can
> send and receive to localhost and I can send to external networks but
> I can not receive from external networks (I receive a 550: Address
> rejected).  Netstat says sendmail is listening on port 25 but I cannot
> telnet to it.
> When I do a port scan of the server, nmap does not show anything on
> port 25 but does show smtp on 587.

How did you start sendmail?  The daemon doesn't run by default; perhaps
you forgot to enable it in rc.conf?  There's a manual for rc.sendmail(8)
which describes the options for that...