Sendmail not accepting connections on port 25

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jul 19 16:31:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 00:03:58 -0700, ssgriffonuser wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having difficulty getting sendmail set up on my server.  I can send
> and receive to localhost and I can send to external networks but I can
> not receive from external networks (I receive a 550: Address rejected).
> Netstat says sendmail is listening on port 25 but I cannot telnet to it.
> When I do a port scan of the server, nmap does not show anything on port
> 25 but does show smtp on 587.

Do you have any options corresponding to port settings
in /etc/rc.conf?

Do you run a firewall and maybe port redirection?

Do you have /etc/hosts set up properly?

What does

	% telnet <your public IP> 25

in contradiction to

	% telnet <your public IP> 587

show?

Are you sure your ISP isn't filtering anything "for your
comfortability"? :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany