Tools to find "unlegal" files ( videos , music etc )

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Tue Jul 19 15:20:27 UTC 2011

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Tue Jul 19 08:55:07 2011
> Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 15:54:32 +0200
> From: Damien Fleuriot <ml at my.gd>
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Tools to find "unlegal" files ( videos , music etc )
>

> On 7/19/11 1:57 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
> >> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Tue Jul 19 05:54:52 2011
> >> Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:54:38 +0200 From: Damien Fleuriot <ml at my.gd>
> >> To: "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost at cordula.ws> Cc: Frank Bonnet
> >> <f.bonnet at esiee.fr>,
> >>         "freebsd-questions at freebsd.org"
> >>         Subject: Re: Tools to find "unlegal" files ( videos , music
> >>         etc )

> >> The poorly written IT TOS of a company can never bypass the law,
> >> regardless of anything you agreed to in your company's TOS.
> >
> > "male bovine excrement" applies.
> >
> > For example, if it is part of the _terms_of_emplyment_ -- which one
> > *agreed* to, by going to work there --that you (the employeee) give
> > permission for the company, or it's agents, to examine any file you
> > store on the system.
> >
> >> It *is* unlawful for them to even open your files as long as they are
> >> clearly labeled as private.
> >
> > Oh my.  making back-ups is unlawful.  Replacing a failed drive in a
> > RAID array is unlawful.  Re-arranging storage allocation is unlawful.
> > *SNORT*
> >

> You're playing dumb. On purpose.

False to Fact.

Using satire to make a point, yes.

Obviously, it is _not_ unlawful to 'even open' a file that is 'labelled as
private'.

Herr Ghost subsequently clarified that he meant 'opened by a person' -- which,
if _that_ is an accurate description of the law in question,  means that a
purely mechanical process, such as a loop running file(1) on all files, and
logging a filtered subset of that output would _not_ qualify as 'opening'
under the law, either.

>                                  That's called trolling. That's frowned
> upon, both by the community and by the list's charter.

Irrelevant, and immaterial.

> Just because you sign a bit of paper doesn't make everything it contains
> law.
>
> I do not have to remind anyone of the number of cases where, for example,
> ISPs got condemned for abusive terms in their contracts, and said terms
> nullified.

No, but you _do_ have to specify the jurisdiction in which it happened.
The rules _are_  different in different jurisdicitons.

> > Under the laws of _what_ jurisdiction?
> >

> http://www.acbm-avocats.com/spip.php?article37
>
> Files are considered to be work related UNLESS they're clearly
> labeled/named as private.

AH. _those_ rules *don't* apply to me.

> In which case the employer may not open said files in the absence of the
> employee.
>
> Just because you do it doesn't make it legal.

But, you see, It _is_ entirely legal where *I* live.

> >> To open them, they would require a judge's injunction, for example in
> >> cases of pedo pornography or the like.
> >
> > I guarantee you that _I_, as a system administrator, don't need a court
> > order to do such things.  And, if you claim otherwise, you better be
> > prepared to cite the statues that prohibit it.
>
> Again just because you do it doesn't make it legal.

Repeating, What I do *is* entirely legal.

> Regarding statutes that prohibit it, see above, plus:
>
> European Fondamental Rights:
> http://www.europarl.europa.eu/charter/pdf/text_fr.pdf
>
> Code du travail:
> http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do;idArticle=LEGIARTI00000
> 6901852&cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006072050&dateTexte=20080513

*NONE* of the above are applilcable to me.

> > This is a corporate environment, it is in the terms of employment that
> > company computers are for "business use only", that anything on the
> > machines is 'work done for hire', and thus property of the company.
> >

> I hope we'll agree to disagree here.

"you don't know what you don't know" applies.  I don't mean that offensively,
but you have made an unwarranted, unjustified, assumption as to what laws
govern _my_ actions.

> Jurisprudence allows reasonable use of work computers, given that the
> employee respects L120-4 of Code du Travail.
>
> This one here clearly acknowledges an employee's right to a reasonable
> personal use of his employer's internet connection:
>
> http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichJuriJudi.do?oldAction=rechJuriJudi&idT
> exte=JURITEXT000019166094&fastReqId=2101417007&fastPos=1

Again, none of that applies to my situation.

> >> It would be unlawful to try to brute force the files' password ;)
> >
> > The last I knew (admittedly a number of years ago), encryption was
> > illegal in France, EXCEPT where the encryption key is on file with the
> > Government. Many multi-national corporations made sure to route their
> > 'secure' traffic
> > _around_ France for that specific reason.
> >
> > Find an encrypted file, and demand that the user show that the key is
> > on file with the gov't.   *EVIL*GRIN*
> >

> You are not entitled to such a demand.

*IF* it is illegal to have encrypted materials without the key on file with
the gov't,, then it would seem reasonable, on discovering such, to demand
proof that the file -- being that it is  _on_my_property_ --  in question
is _not_ illegal.

> The same way I just can't barge in to your house and demand to see your
> permit to build there.

Under some circumstances, I _can_.

To wit: If you're building on _my_ property, I _do_ have the right to demand
proof that you are doing it 'legally'.

> The same way I just can't demand your driver's license unless I'm law
> enforcement.

Under some circumstances, I _can_.

To wit: If you want to drive _my_ car, I most certainly can demand proof
that you have a license.

> By the way, you're wrong again. Encryption is perfectly legal in France
> up to a specific key length, above which you are supposed to register it
> with the government.

As I said, "a number of years ago", that _was_ the situation -- I'm glad
to see that France has relaxed their stance on  the matter.

*LOTS* of countries had lots of 'stupid' rules about ecnryption and
encryption  technology.  the USA used to require an 'international arms
dealer' certification to export any encryption technology

BTW, the reason I can *legally* do those things you say are unlawful is
that I am _not_ in France,  Nor even anywhere in the EU.  The rules _I_
have to play by _are_ different.