Tools to find "unlegal" files ( videos , music etc )

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jul 18 08:10:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 09:55:09 +0200, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> Hello
>
> Anyone knows an utility that I could pipe to the "find" command
> in order to detect video, music, games ... etc  files ?
>
> I need a tool that could "inspect" inside files because many users
> rename those filename to "inoffensive" ones :-)

One way could be to define a list of file extensions that
commonly matches the content you want to track. Of course,
the file name does not directly correspond to the content,
but it often gives a good hint to search for *.wmv, *.flv,
*.avi, *.mp(e)g, *.mp3, *.wma, *.exe - and of course all
the variations of the extensions with uppercase letters.
Also consider *.rar and maybe *.zip for compressed content.

If file extensions have been manipulated (rare case), the
"file" command can still identify the correct file type.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany