Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 16:48:56 UTC 2011

2011/7/17 "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom at pathscale.com>:
>  On 07/17/11 07:24 PM, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
>>
>> However, what worries me is how influential he is in some open source
>> projects. He suggested that Gnome should be Linux specific because
>> trying to keep compatibility with other UNIX systems (BSD for example)
>> holds them from going further in the development. I wouldn't be happy
>> if the gnome developers followed his advice.
>
> 1) Why care about *BSD as a desktop?
> 2) Why care about *BSD as a workstation? (Which I see as a next level in
> stability/usability beyond a toy "desktop")
>
> In the specific case about Gnome - really if you care so much then you can
> submit patches and contribute.  If nobody is willing to do the work (scratch
> the itch) then ultimately it really doesn't matter.

Yes, I've heard this before. I care about FreeBSD as a desktop because
I use it as a desktop.

Regarding the Gnome issue, it is easy to say, "hey, go and fix it",
but even if I lack the
skills to send patches and / or fix a certain issue, it does not mean
I don't care.

At this point, when Gnome is not Linux-specific, a big amount of work
is put to make the FreeBSD
Gnome releases stable. If Gnome goes Linux-specific it will be really
difficult (if not impossible) to
keep the pace of the original project (think about what would happen
if Gnome depends on systemd
to activate session services, for example).