Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Sun Jul 17 12:57:02 UTC 2011

  On 07/17/11 07:43 PM, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> Op 17-7-2011 14:17 schreef Subbsd:
>> community decreases. It is a pity that many developers of FreeBSD have
>> left in Apple, the small part works over {NET,OPEN,DRAGONFLY}.BSD but
>> as a whole it already absolutely small small groups of people.
> And do you feel this will be the end of FreeBSD?
I doubt that *BSD will *end*, but at which point does lack of usage make
an OS irrelevant?

1) Is it used in production?  If so does it serve a critical role?
2) What commercial support options are available?  (Also what popular
commercial/proprietary software are available )
3) How well is it keeping pace with existing sw and hw technologies?
4) How focused and productive is the development community?

I have some personal views on the above, but I consider *BSD severely
lacking in a few areas.  (No I can't personally help and only kick these
questions off from the sidelines)

Software typically exists to solve a problem.  What problem is *BSD
trying to solve?  If something serves a purpose then there should be no
denying it's future relevance.