how to force a hard reboot remotely

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Jul 17 04:26:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 10:39:06PM -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
> Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 22:39:06 -0500
> From: Ryan Coleman <editor at d3photography.com>
> Subject: Re: how to force a hard reboot remotely
> To: Bill Tillman <btillman99 at yahoo.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> When bottom replying, please clear the header and signature - thanks.
>
> You can set up a BIOS boot time, if you can get onsite... that would allow you to power it down at, say, 11:59PM and have it power back on at Midnight.
>
> Or a UPS that's controlled by another machine. Or the magic packet WOL option... but those require another machine. Maybe a switch or router than can send WOL packets would be a possibility?
>
> --
> Ryan

	I had something like this in late 1995.  Remotely
	"shutdown -h [time]"  got my box powered down, then a
	remote timer cycled the power.  Problems were: that the
	timer was hard to set exacrly.  [There may have ben two
	timers; it was a bear of a problem.  ]

	gary

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 8.51a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org