how to force a hard reboot remotely

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 03:31:54 UTC 2011

________________________________
From: Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>
Sent: Sat, July 16, 2011 10:40:19 PM
Subject: how to force a hard reboot remotely

Is there any way to force a complete power down and then reset of a
i386 without physically being present?

WOW! That's a tall order. A reboot from remote is simple, but a cold boot....I
don't think that's possible unless you have some kind of Wake-On-Lan capable NIC
which could detect a connection attempt while the machine is off. I can't say
that for sure because what you've got to remember is that with a cold boot, the
machine will no longer remember what OS it was running until it reboots. My
advice would be to get to the console if you absolutely have to cold boot it. Or
call someone nearby the console and have the actually turn the machine off, wait
the obligatory 30 seconds and then restart it. Someone else may have a better
idea.