can't build teTeX port in FreeBSD 8.2 amd64

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Fri Jul 15 22:14:30 UTC 2011

Frank Shute <frank at shute.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 05:54:26PM +0000, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > ... For regular things, TeTeX is fine, but for bigger projects
> > one can't do without texlive.  I encountered the same problems
> > with default tetex, but installed TeXLive from DVD and I no
> > longer have these problems :)
> >
> > But like Roland says, some ports depend on teTeX still and this
> > is where I hope that developers find ways around them :)
>
> What I did was install TeXLive but keep my teTeX installation. My
> $PATH is such that TeXLive binaries are picked up first but the
> teTeX installation satisfies those ports that depend on it.

which seems kind of hackish, and it doesn't solve the OP's problem
of not being able to build teTeX on 8.2 amd64 (unless there's a
prior amd64 package to fall back on).

Presumably, if TeXLive is truly a drop-in, all a TeXLive "port"
needs to do is drop it in and then register it so that other ports
know it's available.  There's a mechanism in portmaster -- and
I imagine in other port-management tools also -- to replace a
dependency on port "A" with a dependency on an alternative port "B".