can't build teTeX port in FreeBSD 8.2 amd64

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 15 20:20:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 09:03:24AM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 05:08:16PM +0100, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> > > I would advise you to get TeXLive instead, but that is just me.  You
> > > can install from TeXLive DVD, or go get a DVD with packages:
> >
> >  I would second that. It comes comlete with FreeBSD binaries for i386 and amd64 in the 2010 release and installing it is really easy.
> >

> what about ia64, sparc64 and the rest?

Those platforms are relatively rare. To the best of my knowledge, only a
handful of people (myself included) have requested FreeBSD binaries. And if
the TeXLive developers don't have access to the hardware in question...

> What exactly is missing from teTeX?
> I use latex daily, and so far haven't
> found a package which is not already
> included as part of teTeX. Of course,
> my usage is specific to what I need,
> it's not exhaustive.

teTeX is missing (among others) luaTeX, a recent conTeXt, pdfjam, Xe(La)TeX,
bibtex8, amstex, latexdiff, metafun, pdfnup.

A unified diff between the texmf trees from teTeX to TeXLive is 54150 lines,
of which 8445 are deletions and 42939 are additions.

Also, from the teTeX homepage:

	 I (Thomas Esser) have decided not to make new releases of teTeX any more
	 (May 2006). The information below might get out of date as time goes
	 by. I suggest anybody interested in teTeX to join the TeX Live project.

So teTeX is effectively EOL.

Roland