Upgrading very old installation

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Fri Jul 15 13:49:41 UTC 2011

Jaime Kikpole writes:

>  I'm running a FreeBSD 6.x server that hasn't been updated in
>  about 1.5 years.
>
>  atlas:~>uname -mprs
>  FreeBSD 6.4-RELEASE-p8 i386 i386
>
>  What is the recommended way to upgrade it to something current?
>  Should I upgrade it to the most recent 6.x and then to 7.x and
>  then to 8.x?  Or should I use a more direct route, upgrading it
>  straight to the 8-RELEASE branch?

	There is a strong argument to be made for (re-)installing when
moving across a major version boundary.  Whan crossing more than
one, the case becomes even more formidable.
	And installing to a new disk allows you to use the old one as a
(hardware-enforced) read-only backup.
	The only two reasons I can think of for upgrading in place are
a) you cannot afford or have no access to a new disk or b) you
cannot make a reliable backup (which carries its own set of risks).

					Robert Huff