Upgrading very old installation

Jaime Kikpole jkikpole at cairodurham.org
Fri Jul 15 12:44:11 UTC 2011

I'm running a FreeBSD 6.x server that hasn't been updated in about 1.5 years.

atlas:~>uname -mprs
FreeBSD 6.4-RELEASE-p8 i386 i386

What is the recommended way to upgrade it to something current?
Should I upgrade it to the most recent 6.x and then to 7.x and then to
8.x?  Or should I use a more direct route, upgrading it straight to
the 8-RELEASE branch?

I've been using the cvsup/make method of upgrades for years and only
used freebsd-upgrade once.  I'm not sure if either method can handle a
6.x to 8.x upgrade.

I also have a bunch of ports in this server (e.g. apache, postfix,
etc.)  Once the OS is updated, should I just portupgrade them all?

Thanks in advance,
Jaime

--
Network Administrator