boting straight into firefox

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jul 15 04:38:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:37:35 -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:00:31PM -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> > I am setting a read only kiosk (it displays various web pages
> > progmatically and has *NO OTHER* function) and security is not a
> > concern because the hardware is locked away and need to find the most
> > hands free way method of going from power on to full screen
> > www/firefox.... is it sufficent to have a su to a non-root user and
> > then run startx in /etc/rc(.local) [I have a custom /etc/rc so I do
> > not need rc.local)
>
> I don't know the process for setting that up off the top of my head.
> Perhaps a minimal window manager with only one workspace and the browser
> executed in your .xinitrc file would do the trick.  I seem to recall
> there is a way to turn off access to TTY consoles, too.

No need for a window manager - the program itself should
have control of the session, and if it's run in fullscreen,
fine! You don't need a window manager anyway as you're not
going to manage any windows - and therefore get rid of (in
this case) useless title bars (if any).

> I wonder, though . . . why Firefox?  Would a more minimal (but still GUI)
> browser -- such as Surf, perhaps -- serve your needs better?

Maybe it's worth considering that in case the menu bar,
navigation bar and all the other (mostly nonsense) bars
of web browsers are not needed for the purpose described
above.

An example can be obtained by pressing PF11 in Opera. :-)

Oh, and check out the "dillo" web browser - it's fast
and simple and may be sufficient. From "dillo --help",
you can see that it even supports a fullscreen mode.
You can use this -f parameter together with -g for the
geometry settings to make it as big as the screen, e. g.

	dillo -f -g 1024x768+0+0 /what/to/display.html

But as I said, it depends on _what_ you actually want to
display (in terms of HTML content).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany