OCI support in PHP is dead

Svein Skogen (Listmail account) svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Thu Jul 14 10:15:41 UTC 2011

On 14.07.2011 11:43, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 14/07/2011 07:16, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>> The databases/php5-oci8 port exists no more, and databases/php52-oci8
>> is marked as vulnerable.
>>

> Oracle 8 is pretty obsolete now.  Now, the only options for getting more
> up to date support are
>
>    -- persuading Oracle to release eg. an Oracle Instant Client package
>       for FreeBSD
>
>    -- somehow being able to use the Linux client software under
>       emulation.
>
> I've no idea what Oracle's response to the first option would be, but I
> suspect their response might well be that they won't get enough return
> to justify the cost of producing a FreeBSD native client.

I suspect getting oracle to create such a client would cost (per user)
about half a cent less than replacing the oracle DB would. They're
(in)famous for such calculations.

> The second option looks pretty difficult to me -- making a PHP shared
> object that links to a Linux shlib but that is itself linked into
> various PHP applications.

This one might be a bit cheaper.

> The future looks Postgresql shaped to me.

Or any other non-yacht-sponsoring DB.

//Svein

p.s. I've had the "pleasure" of having dealt with Oracle on several
occasions.

--
--------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein at d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein at jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein at stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein at jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.