zpool-zfs'es on a GELI-encrypted volume are not mounted at boot [patch included]

Pan Tsu inyaoo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 18:23:45 UTC 2011

"Christopher J. Ruwe" <cjr at cruwe.de> writes:

[...]
> /etc/rc.d/zvol
> /etc/rc.d/zfs
> /etc/rc.d/dumpon
> /etc/rc.d/ddb
> /etc/rc.d/initrandom
> /etc/rc.d/geli
> /etc/rc.d/gbde
> /etc/rc.d/encswap
> /etc/rc.d/ccd
> /etc/rc.d/swap1
> /etc/rc.d/fsck
> /etc/rc.d/root
> /etc/rc.d/hostid_save
> /etc/rc.d/mdconfig
> /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal
>
> This makes sense to me and reflects the order I assumed in my
> description. The question remains, however, if my configuration is of
> any in {unusual, ..., stupid} as I require first zfs mount of /, then
> GELI-unlock and then zfs mount of {/usr,/usr/local, ...}.

Do you mount the root pool over smth else? Otherwise, root should be
mounted by kernel before init(8) is started. And /etc/rc.d doesn't exist
before root is mounted.

I think the correct order is

  0 vfs_mountroot*
  ..
  2 rc.d/zvol (pre v28)
  ..
  6 rc.d/geli
  ..
  15 rc.d/mountcritlocal
  16 rc.d/zfs

where extra datasets from the root pool can be mounted via fstab at
rc.d/mountcritlocal time. Not sure if you import geli pool during boot
or not and leak its configuration via zpool.cache.