Portupgrade Package Question

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Jul 10 13:02:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 00:35:28 -0400
b. f. articulated:

> This is the tag that you would use on src collections to update your
> base system sources (usually in /usr/src) to 8-STABLE.  You would use
> RELENG_8_2 for the 8.2-STABLE security branch, RELENG_8_2_RELEASE for
> 8.2-RELEASE, and so on.

Reading through the archives, several years worth, it appears that this
is one of the most frequently asked questions. Many users, both new
(obviously) and some not so new get confused as to what is the proper
tag to use for each branch; ie "Stable" "Current", etc.Maybe there
should be some way to make it easier to understand. For example:

8.2-RELEASE: original release of code sans any updates, etc.

8.2-STABLE: released version plus security updates

8.2-CURRENT: All updates, security & otherwise to the original version

?-CURRENT: The absolute latest release of FreeBSD irregardless of what
version it is.

Anyway, it is just a suggestion. In any case I think it might be easier
for some to comprehend. Anything that eliminates confusion is a plus.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.