Color Spills Over From SSH Session

David Krauser david.krauser at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 04:38:05 UTC 2011

Hello everybody,

I've tried to setup a kind of 'dedicated ssh client' using FreeBSD, and
I'm having some issues with the terminal colors.

I have a basic install of FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE (I only had kernel-dev
packages checked at installation) and I rebuilt the GENERIC kernel with
the VESA and SC_PIXEL_MODE options enabled (for a high resolution
terminal).

Now here's the problem: when I ssh into another box and issue a command
with colors (like vim's syntax hilighting or a colored ls) the primary
color of the terminal will change. I'm often left with a crazy colored and
hard to read bash prompt (all in the ssh session). When I exit the session
back to FreeBSD, the colors persist. I have to use the command 'reset' to
fix the issue.

I believe my primary FreeBSD shell is csh (it's whatever the default is in
FreeBSD) and I'm not sure if it can handle colors or if it has them
enabled. I generally ssh into a bash shell.

I'm really a newcomer with FreeBSD, and any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,

David Krauser
david.krauser at gmail.com