DNS and file system messed up...

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Jul 8 22:04:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 10:01:45AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:01:45 +0100
> From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: DNS and file system messed up...
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org

> > The first one that fails is looking for /etc/named.conf.  The second
> > one shows its in /var/named/etc/named/named.conf
>
> > Those are different locations.  I suspect you have named_flags setup
> > in rc.conf pointing to /etc/namedb/named.conf rather than the right
> > location.  Its also possible that its not set in rc.conf but defaults
> > in either the rc script or /etc/rc.d/named.  On my system it appears
> > to default in /etc/rc.d/named.
>
> FreeBSD defaults to running named chrooted.  /etc/namedb is actually a
> symbolic link:

hi matthew,

i found an in-depth post you wrote re mtree yesterday ( 07july ),
but i figured it was over my head in resetting anything i might need
to reset.  i was going to write you offlist.  decided to ask the
entire list.

> % ls -la /etc/namedb
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  21 Jul  6 06:24 /etc/namedb@ ->
> /var/named/etc/namedb
>
> so the files referenced are in fact exactly the same file.  However, the
> flags from the log extract don't look like the defaults to me.  (I'm
> running the dns/bind98 port, and the equivalent info from the log line
> is '-t /var/named -u bind')

i was using bind98 rather than the earlier bind9 which is out of
date.  but bind98 gave me troubles with the rndc.key and other, so i
chose to go back  with what worked.  --first thing is to get this
working with the older bind9.  FWIW, both bind9's  given me the same
error and failure.  i have walked thru the named script to the point
where it creates the symlink.  regardless, i cannot understand the
error and failure messages.  i only know that my kill -9 and my
initialization "by hand" work.

> Gary, what named related settings do you have in /etc/rc.conf?  You
> almost certainly don't need anything more than:
>
> named_enable="YES"
>
> and perhaps
>
> syslogd_flags="-ss -l /var/named/var/run/log"
>
> so named can log to the system syslog.

Hmmm [&c].  as you may have seen in my post to Doug H. i only have

--

named_enable="YES"
named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org