OpenNMS under FreeBSD?

Dennis Glatting freebsd at penx.com
Fri Jul 8 18:14:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011, Brandon Gooch wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Dennis Glatting <freebsd at penx.com> wrote:
>> I am looking at OpenNMS under FreeBSD but it isn't in the ports tree
>> although there are various discussions of OpenNMS under FreeBSD.
>>
>> Is there a reason why OpenNMS isn't in the ports tree, such as it doesn't
>> port, no one is willing to step up as a maintainer, or there are licensing
>> issues?
>>

> There is a port here, created by Sevan Janiyan:
>
> http://www.geeklan.co.uk/files/opennms/
>
> I don't know whether or not it's been submitted to ports yet, but I'd
> be interested to see if you get it up and running. Report back with
> your findings!

Status report. I don't have it working yet but:

1) My NMS requires the use of a proxy to access the web. Configuring
    the proxy is an adventure which I didn't find well documented.

    The key proxy configuration point is in the Java installation but
    it appears not to be the only configuration point. Consequently,
    after humming along downloading and installing Java files the
    process hit another snag.

    I haven't had the chance to chase down which tool and which
    configuration point needs to change. This is a show stopper.

2) OpenNMS requires Postgres. I have a SQL infrastructure and I am
    loath to install yet-another SQL server regardless of its
    wonderfulness, but I have installed it.