ZFS on Root

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Wed Jul 6 23:10:48 UTC 2011

* Todor Dragnev <todor.dragnev at gmail.com> [2011-07-06 10:43:17 +0300]:

Inline reply:

> Hi Chris
>
> I just installed ZFS on ROOT on two 1TB SATA disks:
>
> First you need to download freebsd 8.2 memstick release
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.2R/announce.html

I did this via VirtualBox first, so the livefs iso or the DVD was more
approprite here, I choose the dvd so I had quick install times.

> After booting from memstick you must enter in Fixit shell and then to
> follow step by step instructions from post in Dan's blog:
>
> https://www.dan.me.uk/blog/2010/02/08/booting-from-zfs-raid0156-in-freebsd/

A most excellent guide to follow, I made some slight adjustments for my
environment and desire, even scripted the process a little bit (with my
tastes of course) and it went without error. The problem came when I
went to reboot. The system just hangs, I'm going on 7min now with it
just sitting at what I would presume should be the loader prompt. No
import moves things along. The last post on the link you provided pretty
much sums up my issue currently.

If you or anyone else has some advise on this, I would be greatly
appreciated.