p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.56_1 and p5-ExtUtils-Install-1.54_1 conflict

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jul 6 20:45:35 UTC 2011

On 06/07/2011 17:40, n dhert wrote:
> p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.56_1 and p5-ExtUtils-Install-1.54_1 conflict
> both telling that the other one should be deleted.
> So which one of the two to keep
> so far, I opted for keeping p5-ExtUtils-Install-1.54_1, deleting
> p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.56_1, is this wise or should it be the other
> way round?
> or what?

These modules by their nature tend to be required just for building
other ports.  Therefore, keep whichever one is required for the port
you're installing at the moment, and delete the other one.

To save work, consider creating packages of both ports, so that you can
just pkg_add whichever one you need.

It might get tricky if you're installing a big complicated port with
loads of perl module dependencies, where some of the dependencies want
one, and some want the other.  It's possible that having
ExtUtils::MakeMaker will actually satisfy the BUILD_DEPENDS for most
ports -- it's older and fairly unix-specific, whereas ExtUtils::Install
does the same sort of thing for a wider range of OSes.  But FreeBSD is
unix, so we don't actually need the extra fiddly bits from
ExtUtils::Install.  However, I only intuit this from reading the docco.
 I haven't tested it, so it may be a load of old baloney...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3