Tool to show the recent disk space consumers?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Tue Jul 5 19:37:12 UTC 2011

Hi,

I hit this problem periodically when a lot of disk space is gone and
it's hard to tell where did it go. Once it was thunderbird writing huge
index file as a consequence of some bug, on another occasion it was the
bug in KDE writing some huge index somewhere in ~/.kde4.

Is there a tool slowly indexing the file system and showing where
exactly did the sudden growth of consumed space occur?

I know about du(1) but I am looking for some program that can detect the
dynamics and pinpoint the offending files.

Yuri