mount /unmount

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jul 4 13:15:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 15:28:16 +0300, tethys ocean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 3 question
>
> is FreeBSD can boot and run all service while one of slice is not mount for
> example /usr slice..

Check the corresponding entry in /etc/fstab where all file systems
should be mentioned that you want to be mounted at system startup.
For example, a proper line would look like this:

# Device        Mountpoint              FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
# -----------   ---------------------   ------  -------------   -----   -----
/dev/ad0s1f     /usr                    ufs     rw              2       2

Check device names. Depending on how you're accessing disks, the
name could also be ad0f, ada0f, da0f or something else.

Also keep the correct terminology: FreeBSD mounts UFS partitions,
not slices. A slice contains a partition carrying a file system,
usually UFS.

> and second question is my mysql is in /var slice if /var is not mout can I
> access mysql being root and chek all databases also can read log file on
> /var

No. You can't access files inside a file system that isn't mounted
(exceptions: forensic analysis, or performing a device dump).

> third question is can I mount any unmount slice by using just fsck  :)

No. You can only mount file system that are marked clean. To
accomplish this - yes - running fsck for the device (or the
mount point, if listed in /etc/fstab) is required when the
device has been uncleanly mounted previously. To mount all
file systems, use "mount -a".

Also you should _not_ fsck a mounted partition. Unmount them
first (if required), run fsck, then mount. In worst case, boot
from a live system CD or DVD or USB stick and issue the fsck
command from there (really, just worst case scenario, you
shouldn't need this in the first place).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany