Mouse problem on ThinkPad X61

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jul 3 09:08:44 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 21:56:33 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote:
> The T61 has both a touchpad and a trackpoint.  Seems like on my T42,
> only one works.  Possibly there are settings for psm(4) or the synaptics
> touchpad driver is needed.

If both pointing decies are handled independently, e. g. psm0
representing the Trackpoint, while the fingerslimepad is
accessed per ums0 (not sure, just an assumption!), it would
maybe help to explicitely tell this to moused.

Something like this could work:

	moused_enable="YES"
	moused_port="/dev/psm0"
	moused_type="auto"

If you also want to use the middle mouse button (a standard thing
since the 70s, usually not working on "modern" glidepads), you
could add (attention, try it, it's from my memory):

	moused_flags="-z 4"

(But I'm not sure if you really need that, as I don't have it
in my current config, but see below why.)

And then add the following settings to xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Mouse0"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"Protocol"		"auto"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/sysmouse"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"EmulateWheel"		"true"
	Option		"EmulateWheelButton"	"2"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

This is the configuration I'm using for a standard 3-button
mouse (no wheel), a Sun Type 6 USB, but it also works with
3-button mice attached per PS/2 connector.

In this setting, clicking the middle mouse button will _be_
the middle mouse button, and holding it down while moving
the mouse in Y direction will be the wheel functionality,
much smoother and more precise than a regular mouse wheel.
And if required, you can press the left _and_ the right
button at the same time which also means the middle mouse
button.

It should work wonders with the superior TrackPoint.

> No, please stop recommending this.  Here's the whole story:
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html

Important source of wisdom.

> AEI is the wrong option.  If you want to stop xorg from using HAL to
> detect input devices, there are two good ways:
>
> 1. Set Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
> 2. Build xorg-server with the HAL option disabled.

I would suggest the last option. Build X without HAL, run -configure,
modify xorg.conf as needed, and everything works. Especially if you
need a non-US keyboard layout... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany