Issue upgrading to 7.4, looking for guidance

Keith Seyffarth weif at weif.net
Mon Jan 31 19:25:39 UTC 2011

David,

> I ran into a similar issue upgrading from 7.2 to 7.3.  Here's the
> thread where I worked it out; it might be helpful in your case:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-July/218443.html
> My eventual solution was here, if you don't want to read through the
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-July/218884.html

I ended up getting instructions from a friend n manually running
# make buildworld
# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# mergemaster -i

to get the world upgraded to 7.4-PRERELEASE.

After this a bunch of removing, reinstalling, and upgrading of ports was
necessary, but everything appears to be working now.

Of course, not having a FreeBSD CD for any version of FreeBSD would make
copying a file from the CD rather difficult... ;)

Keith S.