snd_es137x && no recording from headset micro

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sun Jan 30 09:27:23 UTC 2011

El día Wednesday, January 26, 2011 a las 02:40:15PM +0100, Matthias Apitz escribió:

> > $ cat /dev/sndstat
> > FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2007061600/i386)
> > Installed devices:
> > pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371-A> at io 0x2040 irq 16 kld snd_es137x [MPSAFE] (2p:4v/1r:4v channels duplex default)
> >
> > i.e. there is only pcm0 and no pcm1 (should it?)
>
> I did some more tests and have now a clear picture:
>
> 1)
> in Win7 you can control (System-control-->Sound-->Input) the input
> devices (build-in micro ./. headset micro), you can test them there and
> you can define which one is the default; if you set 'headset micro' as
> default and pull it out, the default switches to build-in micro and back
> again if you plug it in again;
>
> 2)
> if you start the VM while a) headset micro is pluged-in and b) set as
> default, the recording in Skype works from headset micro; YES, it works!
>
> 3)
> if you pull out the headset micro, the recording (also in the VM with
> Skype) falls back to build-in micro; but you can't switch back by
> pluging it in again, is stays with build-in micro; even a FreeBSD guest
> system reboot does not change it back; only a restart of VMWare bring
> the headset micro again as default;
>
> It looks like a bug in VMWare or Win7, I think, and nothing we could
> address here in FreeBSD world, or?
>
> Just for the record, se also http://communities.vmware.com/thread/300335

One last note to end this thread here:

4)
If you plug-in the headset micro and disable in Win7 the build-in micro,
sound gets recorded in the FreeBSD guest again from the headset micro.

This is not a fine solution, but a least a workaround.

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211