Very Important Note on HP LaserJet P1102 on FreeBSD

Bahman Kahinpour bahman.linux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 22:20:18 UTC 2011

Hi dear FreeBSD people,
After spending a lot of time on making my HP LaserJet P1102 work on
FreeBSD, I found out what the problem is!!! Please tell this to
anybody who has problems with HP P1102 on FreeBSD!
The problem with this HP model is that it has a fake CD-ROM which
contains the Windows drivers. The USB must actually be switched from
the CD-ROM mode to the Printer mode in order to work. Otherwise, the
printer will not work whatever you do. /dev/ulpt0 will not show up
either.
---> The workaround is this: You must (unfortunately) connect the
printer to a Windows system and run SIUtility.exe or SIUtility64.exe
from the UTIL folder in the Driver CD-ROM (physical CD-ROM that comes
with the printer not the fake one) and completely disable this "HP
Smart Install" feature. After disabling this feature, everything will
be fine on FreeBSD and life will be more beautiful.
* Please pass this info on blogs, wikis, ... . I do not want other
FreeBSD fans suffer this pain.
Good luck