Could any port be sucking up bandwidth?

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 26 07:39:51 UTC 2011

On Tue 25 Jan 2011 at 22:49:40 PST Gary Kline wrote:
>Guys,
>
>Before the 11th of January I was streaming both audio and video
>streams with little to zero wait time.  In other words, I could
>stream about 50 minutes of audio with only a second or two of pause
>time delay [[AKA congestion]].  After that date there was a steep
>decline in streaming performance and I went at upgrading my server
>with a vengeance to see if that fixed things.  Upgrading my 700
>ports only led to other things breaking.  I am wondering if anyone
>else in North America has a DSL connection and has seen the kind of
>degradation in performance after doing (something) to their FreeBSD
>servers.
>
>I have around 1Mb down and 864Kb up ... according to the telco.  Any
>ideas will be much appreciated.

This kind of random fishing expedition is unlikely to succeed.  You need
to take a more methodical approach to the problem.

Luckily, Kris Kennaway did a presentation a while ago that teaches you
the *right* way to fish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfb5_uG7BCA

Learn what diagnostic tools are available, where they're appropriate,
and how to use them.