putting "/tmp" to memory

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:18:36 UTC 2011

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 05:47:23 -0800
kellyremo <kellyremo at zoho.com> wrote:

> "to memory" means: mounting a ~2 GByte filesystem [ tmpfs?, or
> ramfs? ], and put the "/tmp" on it. [ e.g.: 4 GByte ram in the pc ].
> what to write in the "/etc/fstab"?

I have

tmpfs    /tmp   tmpfs  rw,size=4280000000

I would suggest you don't use tmpmfs="YES" in rc.conf unless you are
being very conservative with a production server. tmpfs is nominally
experimental, but it seems to be very stable, and it's much more memory
efficient than md devices.

>  Advantages:
>  - Memory is way faster then HDD/SSD, so it could speed things up

It's not all that much faster due caching and soft-updates on hard
disks.

>  Disadvantages:
>  - Security? [ how to set this up to be secure? any clear
> howtos/links regarding it? :O ]

Do you have any particular concerns?