TV test image generator using mencoder

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jan 24 07:45:47 UTC 2011

For an amateur TV (ham) project, I'm searching for a
convenient way to create a test image DVD or CD using
FreeBSD's port mencoder. But I can't get this working.
Maybe somebody on list has an idea of how to accomplish
this.

Input:	a still image (jpg, gif, png) of a test picture,
	as shown on TV, already available

Output:	a VCD-compatible MPEG video file which shows the
	picture (which does not change) and plays a 1 kHz
	testing sound (sine wave); the length of "video"
	should be given in minutes

More:	a DVD-compatible output could be provided for
	better quality if needed

The idea is this: With a set of, let's say 5 of such
MPEG files, each lasting 10 minutes, I want to burn a
VCD because that's what the player in use can play best.
If it plays the in "repeat mode", every 10 minutes the
test image will change, the sound will stay the same.
The VCD can be done with mkvcdfs, I've already done
that for other purposes, works good. As this player
is a stand-alone device, there's no trouble getting
a TV (video or even antenna) signal out of a PC. :-)

Background: The test VCD can be played in continuous loop
while the transmitter is running. This way, receiving
tests can be done, as there is a good testing signal
for making statements about video and audio quality.
The combination of both, also using something standar-
dized (instead of a camera input, showing the town
from above or a look out of the window across the
street) is buch better for making QUALIFIED statements
about signal quality. Adjustments to the equipment
can be done more easily.

I've tried to do this with mencoder, but can't get any
usable results.

How would you suggest to get this done?

--
Polytropon