upgrading a dozen of servers from 7.0 to 8.1

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 15:14:02 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Radomskiy Yuriy <yurius.r at yandex.ua> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have around 15 servers running FreeBSD 7.0 across the country.
> I would like to upgrade them to 7.3 or even 8.1 using binary updates.
> They are primary mail servers all running apache-2.0 + php5-5.2.10,
> mysql-server-5.1, exim-4.69, dovecot-1.1
> They are almost identical - they were identical a couple of years ago, but
> now they have some minor differences (soft, settings, scripts)
> Hardware is all the same.
> All the servers are in production.
>
> The steps I have to do and the questions about them i have:
> 1. update all soft to current versions (including change of config files)
> apache - goto v2.2
> php - goto v5.3
> mysql - stick with 5.1
> exim - goto 4.73
> dovecot - goto 1.2.16
> q's:
> how can upgrading to apache 2.2 + php5.3 be done with minimal downtime?

portupgrade -o lang/php52 lang/php5

That will upgrade your php from 5.2.10 to 5.2.17. Please stick with
php-5.2.x unless you are sure php-5.3 will not break some web apps you are
running.

upgrade php-extensions the same way.

can i upgrade or is it better to rebuild it from the scratch (because of
> major version changes)?

You can upgrade. Please follow the instructions from
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/upgrade/freebsd-upgrade-7x-8x.txt<http://people.freebsd.org/%7Erse/upgrade/freebsd-upgrade-7x-8x.txt>

Just note one thing I noticed while upgrading my servers:

s/compat7x-`uname -m`-7.2.702000.200906.1.tbz/compat7x-`uname
-m`-7.3.703000.201008.tbz/g

> 2. do a binary upgrade of OS according to handbook
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

You can do that, but I personally prefer
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/upgrade/freebsd-upgrade-7x-8x.txt<http://people.freebsd.org/%7Erse/upgrade/freebsd-upgrade-7x-8x.txt>.
I have never used freebsd-update on any system I run, but that is out of
choice, not any other reason!

> 3. rebuil all the software again
> portupgrade -af

If you follow
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/upgrade/freebsd-upgrade-7x-8x.txt<http://people.freebsd.org/%7Erse/upgrade/freebsd-upgrade-7x-8x.txt>,
there will not be any urgency in doing portupgrade -af.

> I have two scenarios for this:
> I.
> 1. restore a server from a backup on a dedicated machine.
> 2. do all the upgrade procedures on this dedicated server.
> 3. clone this upgraded server to the original server.
> 4. Repeat this procedure for each server.
> Advantages:
>  - almost garanteed reliability.
> Disadvantages:
>  - need to sync data from the last backup with current one.
>  - takes very long time.

Too tedious!!

> II.
> 1. restore one server from backup on a dedicated machine.
> 2. do all the upgrade procedures on this restored server.
> 3. write some sort of script that does the upgrate (or makes it easier).
> 4. upgrate all the servers (since they are almost identical) one at a time.
> Advantages:
>  - should be faster
> Disadvantages:
>  - something might go wrong on some particular server(s).

Too tedious!!

> Which method would you sudgest?

As I suggested above!!

> Is there any other method or maybe enhancements ones to do the upgrade?

??

> How can it be used that all servers are almost identical?

Using RSE's methods, your servers will remain as identical as they are now.
Only you will end up running FreeBSD 8.x :-)

> How can the process be automated?

Unattended? Never for a server!!!
Scripted?? By RSE!!

> Should i be looking into building binary packages of required software and
> redistributing them to the servers instead of building them from the ports
> tree (as it is done now)?

No.

--
Best regards,