Implications of missing this step?

Michael D. Norwick mnorwick at centurytel.net
Fri Jan 21 03:41:56 UTC 2011

Good Day;

Running PC-BSD 8.1 with a custom kernel and new world.  I just finished
another custom kernel and rebuilt world according to the FreeBSD
handbook.  While reading the docs again to find an answer to a question
about how upgraded ports are handled, I came across the following in 24.2.3;

"If a custom kernel is in use, the upgrade process is slightly more
involved. A copy of the GENERIC kernel is needed, and it should be
placed in /boot/GENERIC. If the GENERIC kernel is not already present in
the system, it may be obtained using one of the following methods:"

I am in the process of doing #>portupgrade -af with a new custom kernel
and stock (rebuilt) world i.e. buildkernel KERNCONF=KERNEL_011911, and
buildworld... (after upgrading src and ports with csup).  Things seem to
be going ok but the statements about 'old object files and libraries'
being out of date for third party applications, make me feel as if I
have done something wrong.  I blew away the GENERIC kernel several
iterations of kernel builds ago.  I always start a build with #>make
clean.  What can go wrong by not following the above step?  Is a GENERIC
kernel always needed?
Thank You,
Michael