rescue cd with networkign and ssh!

Devin Teske dteske at vicor.com
Thu Jan 20 23:33:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 11:24 -0800, Devin Teske wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 13:53 +0000, Paul Macdonald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > can any recommend a live cd (any distro) that will mount ufs and has
> > networking+sshd.
>
> How about DruidBSD? http://druidbsd.sf.net/
>
> Bullet Points:
> - ISO is 24MB
> - Contains over 150 standard (and some non-standard) BSD utilities
> - Runs entirely from memory
> - Is based on FreeBSD-8.1
> - Includes the tmpfs kernel module (should you need to allocate more
> disk space from RAM)
> - Works from optical media (CD/DVD) and USB flash drives

I think I need to clarify on the above point.

When you download any of the DruidBSD ISO's, you really do have
something special in your hands.

It's not a CD/DVD image.
It's not a USB memstick image.
It's not a hard disk image.
It's not a pxeboot image.

... (pause for dramatics) ...

It's all of the above. Simultaenously. Without modification. In
Parallel.

There are manuals that can be followed online that will guide you
through the process of creating a USB-memstick out of the FreeBSD
``boot-only'' disc(s). However, that's not what this is.

Rather, what we have here is an ordinary ISO9660 file created and then
post-processed with H. Peter Anvin's extraordinary `isohybrid' utility
(from syslinux.zytor.com). See
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Doc/isolinux (and search-ahead
for `isohybrid').

This tool wraps the ISO9660 filesystem within a Hard Disk emulation
layer. When written to a CD/DVD, the emulation layer is ignored and the
BIOS boots directly from the ISO9660 layer. Meanwhile, when written to a
disk-like media (such as thumb drive, CF card, hard disk, zip disk,
etc.) the Hard Disk emulation layer bridges the gap by handing execution
off to the ISO9660 layer. Though, Professor Anvin could propably
describe better the annals of ``hybrid mode'' processing.

I feel that this makes DruidBSD unique in that I only have to master one
ISO and you similarly only have to download one ISO, yet you can freely
use whatever medium you like.

I'm still evaluating the "Hybrid Mode" ISO's as generated by this
utility, and would love feedback on your experiences. To the best of my
knowledge, I'm the first (and only) person to get FreeBSD working in
this way, and I feel that it's working quite well.

I can't say that I'm able to boot every single machine with this ISO.
Some older hardware (read: circa 1998-2001 or older) with USB slots has
shown difficulty in booting from my USB memstick, however I don't chalk
that up to anything related to the ISO, but rather related to memstick
booting in-general. The same exact ISO burned to CD/DVD works on the
same hardware which refuses to boot from USB memstick. BIOS upgrades
usually fix those older machines if available.
--
Devin

(full sig at bottom)

--
Cheers,
Devin Teske

-> CONTACT INFORMATION <-
Business Solutions Consultant II
FIS - fisglobal.com
510-735-5650 Mobile
510-621-2038 Office
510-621-2020 Office Fax
909-477-4578 Home/Fax
devin.teske at fisglobal.com

-> LEGAL DISCLAIMER <-
This message  contains confidential  and proprietary  information
of the sender,  and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it
is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any
other person  is strictly prohibited.  If you have  received this
message in error,  please notify  the e-mail sender  immediately,
and delete the original message without making a copy.

-> FUN STUFF <-
http://www.geekcode.com/

-> END TRANSMISSION <-