Acer Aspire One D250 disk spin-down problem

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Sun Jan 16 10:05:45 UTC 2011

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 08:24:13 +0100
Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:

>     Master:  ad4 <WDC WD2500BEVT-22ZCT0/11.01A11> SATA revision 2.x

> As well the BIOS has no visible option for this. I want to disable
> this, what could I do?

Since it's a WDC disk I guess it's one of the "green" ones. These have
a short default timeout after which they park the heads. I think you'd
need to run the wdidle3.exe application to disable the internal timer,
but it may just be a default APM setting that can be changed from
within FreeBSD using sysutils/ataidle and the -P switch.

--
Bruce Cran