strange behaviour

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sat Jan 15 10:11:26 UTC 2011

Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> > # ping 10.7.7.7
> > PING 10.7.7.7 (10.7.7.7): 56 data bytes
> > ping: sendto: Invalid argument
> >
> > what is problem and how to fix??
>
> Where are you routing 10.7.7.7 to?
>
> If you don't have a specific internal route (or NAT) doing
> something with it, your upstream Internet routers ought to be
> returning ICMP host unreachable errors for RFC-1918 addresses...

In that case, shouldn't ping be reporting the ICMP error -- after
sending the packet -- rather than complaining about an "Invalid
argument" and refusing to send it at all?  Even if 10.5.0.1 and
10.7.7.7 are routed differently on the local host I would not
expect one to give "Invalid argument" and the other not.