Date of a FreeBSD installation

David DEMELIER demelier.david at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 08:38:04 UTC 2011

2011/1/13 Chip Camden <sterling at camdensoftware.com>:
> Quoth David Demelier on Thursday, 13 January 2011:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I'm just guessing if there is a way to know a FreeBSD installation date.
>> We can't look after the uname -a ident since an update of the FreeBSD
>> kernel is possible.
>>
>> I think searching a file absolutely not touched ever in the system can
>> helps but which one?
>>
>> markand at Melon ~ $ ls -l /root/.cshrc
>> -rw-r--r--  2 root  wheel  798 19 Jul 04:17 /root/.cshrc
>>
>> It seems that this file has the FreeBSD dist access time so can't refers
>> to neither.
>>
>> Do you have any clue?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> David Demelier
>
> The date on the /home symlink reflects my install date.  I don't think
> anything would touch that.
>
> --
> Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
> http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com       | http://chipstips.com

And to be sure that anything can touch it you can add the the `uchf'
flag to the symlink :

markand at Melon ~ $ ls -l /home
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8 11 Jan 2011 /home -> usr/home
markand at Melon ~ $ sudo chflags uchg /home
markand at Melon ~ $ sudo touch /home
touch: /home: Operation not permitted

But be careful, apply `uchg' flag on /home and not /home/.

--
Demelier David