Bot?

Robert Fitzpatrick lists at webtent.net
Wed Jan 5 15:41:38 UTC 2011

Keep getting calls from our provider at one location that our FreeBSD
8.0-RELEASE server is sending bursts of >1000 spam messages to >70K
recipients. Since the first call a few weeks ago, I have MRTG and Mail
Statistics graphs setup and see no spikes in traffic. Their last
sighting was over the weekend and graphs show a reduction in traffic
during that time as expected, again with no spikes in traffic or
messages sent/received by our Postfix/Amavisd-maia MTA. All services on
that server including SSH, SMTP and mail queue size all monitored by
Nagios and have had no alerts from that server.

Nonetheless, they claim I must have a bot and the mail is not passing
through my own SMTP. And I suspect little traffic is needed for the
alleged bursts. They have no envelope info. Can someone advise on what
port(s) are available for bot detection and/or prevention? In all my
years of running FreeBSD as mail gateways, this is the first time I've
had this issue.

--Robert