Portupgrade status

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Jan 4 16:04:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 04/01/2011 00:51, illoai at gmail.com wrote:
>> No, the -R flag in portmaster tells it to not rebuild
>> ports taht have already been built on this run (I
>> believe from reading man portmaster).  The -R
>> flag in portupgrade rebuilds the ports on which
>> the named port depends
>> -R
>> --upward-recursive     Act on all those packages required by the given
>>                             packages as well. (When specified with -F, fetch
>>                             recursively, including the brand new, uninstalled
>>                             ports that an upgraded port requires)
>>
>> I don't see any equivalent functionality for portmaster,
>> sadly.
>
> This is actually portmaster's default behaviour.  So:
>
>    portupgrade -R foo/bar is equivalent to portmaster foo/bar
>
>    portupgrade -fRr foo/bar is equivalent to portmaster -fr foo/bar

I'm not seeing where portmaster has the portupgrade -R functionality
("rebuild this port and those it depends on").

portmaster(8) says "The focus of this tool is to keep the dependency
tracking information for your ports up to date.  This allows you to
safely update a specific port without having to update all of the ports
"above" it."

That would make the default action equivalent to portupgrade's -r
option ("rebuild this port and all those that depend on it").

What have I missed?