csup and build question

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Sat Jan 1 23:23:30 UTC 2011

Quoth perryh at pluto.rain.com on Saturday, 01 January 2011:
> Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 20:44:01 +0100
> > Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> > > If programs or other components of the world do have to
> > > be in sync with kernel or system files (sys/*.h), then
> > > I conclude that world also has to be compiled. In this
> > > regards, it means a change of the kernel, and if the
> > > kernel did change, kernel and world are out of sync,
> > > which implies that both have to be compiled.
> > The ABI of the kernel sometimes changes, in which case despite
> > there being no changes in world it still needs to be rebuilt
> > against the newer header files. For example, recently:
> >
> > 20101228:
> > 	The TCP stack has been modified to allow Khelp modules to
> > interact with it via helper hook points and store per-connection
> > data in the TCP control block. Bump __FreeBSD_version to 900029.
> > User space tools that rely on the size of struct tcpcb in tcp_var.h
> > (e.g. sockstat) need to be recompiled.
>
> IIUC, things like that are supposed to happen only within -CURRENT,
> not within a -STABLE or security branch.
>
> I would surmise that, if a csup yielded changes only in /usr/src/sys
> and none of those changes touched a .h file, it should not be necessary
> to rebuild world.

OK, that's about what I had thought.

Thanks to all three of you for responding.  Obviously, the safe choice is
to always rebuild world if anything changes.  But if I see that only a
couple of .c files in the kernel have been touched, then rebuilding only
kernel should be OK in stable -- I think.  The only possible gotcha would be if
something in the kernel gets compiled to a library that world uses, or if
something in world includes a .c file from kernel for some reason.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips.com