How can I implement true vps with FreeBSD as a host?

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 01:09:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Da Rock <
freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:

> Thats why Xen usually gets rated faster- its not actually on an OS because
> it is one. Thats classified as a type 1. The others have to go through the
> host OS first to get something, so it slows them down just a bit, though the
> kernel modules help that quite a bit.

Please quit spouting this nonsense.  He's asking for facts not uninformed
opinions.  In both type 1 and 2 hypervisiors the guests run in a protected
CPU state(s) and in that regard they are functionally equivalent.  If you're
actually interested in learning more, Randal L. Schwartz posted a great
interview with some Virtualbox devs awhile ago that gave detailed technical
info.

This is best recent benchmark I see, but it's still old.

http://www.ilsistemista.net/index.php/virtualization/1-virtual-machines-performance-comparison.html

IMO it's particularly unfair to Xen with such an old version.  Xen 4 is much
better.

So in regards to the OP's questions, Vbox is your only viable alternative is
you want to run FreeBSD as the host.

HRL is supposed to be coming down the pipe, but I think we're at least a
year away.

http://wiki.freebsd.org/Hierarchical_Resource_Limits

--
Adam Vande More