Backtick versus $()

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Feb 24 23:13:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:54:25 -0700, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:40:44PM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:24:37 -0800, Rob Farmer <rfarmer at predatorlabs.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've read it before. Who hasn't?
> >
> > I haven't. :-)
>
> While reading it, just keep this in mind:
>
> It's about "programming" in csh.  It's not about using csh as an
> interactive user shell.  People who try to use it as "proof" that we
> should not use csh as an interactive user shell don't get it.

>From my personal experience, I know that the C shell is
not the best shell for scripting, but one of the best
interactive shells. The article proves the first part
of my statement to be quite... accurate, as the C shell
really has some specific syntax - redirection and grouping
are typical issues. But well, that's not a big problem
as the C shell does not claim to be command-line
compatible to (ba)sh.

> I see from this you are not prone to confuse programming with an
> interactive user shell.

I'm old enough not to be cheated that easily. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany