Backtick versus $()

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Feb 24 23:04:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:58:34 -0800, Chip Camden <sterling at camdensoftware.com> wrote:
> Thanks for that -- though I'll go with:
>
>   set -o vi
>
> TYVM.  I didn't know /bin/sh supported those modes.

It's hardly known as /bin/sh is _not_ used for interactive
comunication regularly, as it's basically the system's
standard scripting shell. It's interactive use is reserved
for emergencies, operations performed in single user mode
to bring back the system to perform normally. Still, it
*CAN* be used for this porpose quite well when configured
properly - if needed.

I could also say: If you're spending too much time in
sh interactive sessions to think about it, you're
probably doing something wrong. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany