How to install Tomcat 7

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Feb 21 15:45:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 07:18:28PM +1030, Andreas Junius wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is my first post to this list, so I hope I get it right. I'm new to
> both Unix and freeBSD and I've been doing my first steps for three days
> now. I was able to install Java and Tomcat 6, because these products are
> part of the ports directory. However I'd prefer Tomcat 7, so I got the
> tomcat7.tar.gz and extracted the files to /usr/ports/www/tomcat7.

I am not sure I understand all of what you say and I have never
installed Tomcat separately.    But,,,

If I install something from source that is not in ports, I generally
put the ...tar.gz  file of its source in /usr/local/src  and then
un-gz/untar it  (tar xzvf...) there.   Normally, a well made open source
product will make a directory for the product and put everything in
there.   Just cd to that and start building.

That usually starts with running configure from within that directory, ge.

NOTE here: Do not confuse this pre-build configure that sets up compiler
           and loader and system options with the post-build configure
           mentioned below that sets up running options for the utility.

  # ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/product_name \
  / more_configure_options_if_necessary

 # make
 # make install

Then do what it takes to configure it to run - there may be a config file
  typically in /usr/local/product_name/conf/...   In FreeBSD some of
  the configuration items can be set in /etc/rc.conf

If it is to run as a daemon, set up its startup in the rc.d

Nowdays, most reasonable open source products that are set up
with a good layout, conprehensive prebuild configure and well built
make files to be installed on a UNIX or Lunix system follow this
basic pattern with a few small variations.

////jerry